Makin' it Monday: Turkey-Pesto Panini

So, I know I have said it before but it has been a pretty lazy summer over here at The House. We have spend a lot of time at the pool and enjoying the outdoors which usually means I am too hot and tired to make dinner. I am a bit embarassed to say that The Girls and I have had cereal for dinner on more than one occasion this summer:)

Well, not last night! Last night was the first night in a long time that all four of us sat down to dinner together so I cooked. We just had sammies so it was still a pretty lazy meal on my part, but so so yummy!

TURKEY-PESTO PANINI

2 tablespoons fat-free mayo
4 teaspoons basil pesto
8 (1-oz.) thin slices sourdough bread
8 oz. sliced cooked turkey breast
2 oz. thinly sliced provolone cheese
8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices tomato
Cooking Spray

1) Combine mayonnaise and pesto, stirring well. Spread 1 tablespoon mayo mixture on each of 4 bread slices; top each slice with 2 oz. turkey, 1/2 oz. cheese, and 2 tomato slices. Top with remaining bread slices.
2) Preheat grill pan (I used a panini maker). Spray each side of sandwich with cooking spray and add to pan. Flip if necessary. Cook 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.

Makes 4 sandwiches.

We paired it with pasta salad and some fresh cherries - so yummy.

Also - my kids may be two of the pickiest eaters in the world so I made a bit of a kid friendly version of the turkey sandwich with some wheat bread, turkey, provolone and a little mayo. I was so excited because The Youngest ate it!!! This is the first sandwich she has ever eaten that wasn't made with just grape jelly. So proud of her for trying new things!!!

We followed up the meal by walking to our local ice-cream shop to get some chocolate-vanilla swirls with sprinkles!!!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...