Tarnish
The tarnish that eventually forms on all silver is silver sulfide.
Cheryl Mendelson advises in her book, Home Comforts - The Art and Science of Keeping Home, 'to keep silver bright, use it.'
I am creating pockets of projects for myself.
In my dining room I have created a chair hospital.
This will take a while, so I will share more later.
I am shopping today and on my list will be silver polish.
Cheryl lists polishes recommended by the Society of American Silversmiths
3M Tarni-Shield Silver Polish
Goddard's Long Shine Silver Polish
Wright's Silver Polish
Twinkle Silver Polish and
Hagerty Silversmith's Polish
In the rural area which I live I hope to find a good polish.
I may have to wait until I go to 'the big city'.
While gathering my silver pieces in their various stages of tarnish, I was struck by their beauty in this patina.
I love silver all polished, shiny and bright.
But, there's just something about the character
of tarnish patina.
I am really excited about this piece. I found it at a garage sale.
The owner told me, that it was silver and would need polishing.
It was five dollars. Happily I answered,
"I don't mind".
I've set up quite the tasks for myself - Pre-Summer
housekeeping.
Interesting bits of information:
"Humidity and heat hasten tarnish"
"substances other than sulfer will harm silver
chlorine bleach, acids and acidic foods."
"Salt and sea air will also cause pitting. If you
have a silver salt cellar, be sure to empty it immediately
following use unless it is lined with glass or some other material
that will not react with salt".
"Wash silver with mild detergent in hot water. Rinse it with
very hot water and dry it thoroughly with a soft cloth.
Never let it air dry".
"It is still true that silver does not belong in the dishwasher".
"You should not need to polish silver often - once or twice a
year perhaps, but the period varies greatly depending upon
use and conditions of storage".
"Chemically treated products....soft flannel cloths, bags, or drawer
liners that have been treated with silver nitrate or other
chemicals should be used for storing silver".
(Home Comforts)
| I have a hunch these might be pewter - I need to verify before attempting to polish |
If you've never seen Cheryl Mendelson's book, I highly
recommend it - it is a comprehensive homekeeping
manual - well written. I am placing this on my Christmas
list for my newly wed daughter.
Is it silver or pewter?
Sterling Silver will most likely have the stamp "925"
or "Ster". It is 925 parts pure siver and 75 parts
copper. Silver will have a smoother brighter sheen.
Pewter is a soft, silverish metal with less luster
than silver. Pewter will not need polishing if it is used.
To keep pewter bright, wash in hot, sudsy water. You
can use ammonia. Dry thoroughly with a soft cloth.
Pewter is sensitive to acids. Oak and unseasoned wood
contain acids that can cause pewter to deteriorate.
(Home Comforts)
(pewters.net)
I am wondering if some of my pieces above are pewter?
I am going to check with my knowledgeable neighbor
before I embark on my polishing.
I hope you're enjoying your day, I do appreciate you stopping by
I am sharing this post with
I am sharing this post with
Transformation and Treasures @ The Pink Postcard
Friday Pretties @ I Love Pretty Little Things
Home Sweet Home @ The Charm of Home
Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Fridays Unfold @ Stuff and Nonsense
Inspiration Friday @ The Picket Fence
Wishing you a very delightsome day,







0 comments:
Post a Comment