I was first introduced to Winter garden planning
By reading Martha Stewart’s Gardening – Month by Month.
I devoured her delicious book chapter by chapter, page by page.
In one section Martha is pictured seated in a lovely wing chair
next to a roaring fire. A lovely cup of tea is by her side as well
as neatly stacked garden catalogues and books. In her lap is one
opened. On another page is graph paper with various color
markers – a plan for an herb garden is drawn out.
As I read these wonderful chapters – gazed over the gorgeous flowers and plants,
I wondered what could I do in my garden.
Each year, I survey those darlings that come back each spring, summer and fall.
I make note of those who are not loving their spot in the garden and note
Those who are loving it too much.
It is a wonderful and ever changing relationship.
I have learned, the best place to start is creating good dirt – to produce the best
yields in vegetable gardens and to encourage healthy flowers and bushes.
One recipe I turn to over and over again includes
Compost – at least 3 inches when first preparing soil
Fish Meal – a wonderful organic source of Nitrogen
Some key strokes are important when amending soil
* Use a digging fork to break up the soil. Thrust it in as deeply
as you can rocking the handle back and forth to loosen the soil
*Use a cultivator to break up clumps – a Japanese cultivator works
marvelously or a four-tine cultivator.
* Add the Organic Matter – compost – this encourages microorganisms to
grow in your soil – which convert the manure/compost and fertilizers into
food for the plants.
* Chop in the organic fertilizer – source of Nitrogen – remember
for long-term results – feed the soil – not the plant.
As I have shared earlier – I am expecting some new roses
to add to my garden. Roses require a more acidic soil (ground limestone is a good source)
than some other plants, also too much nitrogen is not conducive to good growth. Roses also benefit from bone meal and blood meal. The more Phosporus in a chosen fertilizer leads to
better blooms.
I am sharing this post with these Delightsome blog parties:
Wishing you a very Delightsome, garden-dreamy day,
Kathy









0 comments:
Post a Comment